Thursday 26 September 2013

Family fine dining at the Wildflower

It has been a while since we celebrated mother's day at a nicer, upscale restaurant (I know this post is way outdated..haha). Since my brother and I love our momma to bits...(with the bonus of us working full time), we decided to take her to the Wildflower at the matrix hotel. At first, we wanted to go to hardware grill but the timing of the reservations did not work out to plan. The wildflower grill is located at the matrix hotel near jasper ave. Semi-formal attire, dim lighting, relatively quiet environment emits the mature atmosphere.
 For drinks, I ordered the blueberry, pomegranate iced tea. It tasted exactly as it sounds with a nice herbal aroma to compliment the fruity flavors.

The meal came with a complimentary French brioche, it was so good! Light, fluffy and flaky pastry that melted in your mouth immediately. It is seriously to die for. My only complaint is that they did not bring out more!!!
For our appetizers, I recommended the gnocchi and beef carpaccio. My parents have never tried gnocchi before so I figured it should be something we order. The gnocchi was chewy in the center yet crispy on the outside and it was served with a sweet pea puree which made a nice compliment.

The beef carpaccio was the favorite of the night! Thin slices of extremely tender beef, served with a sweet chipotle jam and a hint of spiciness from the aioli. Unfortunately, our palates were highly stimulated from the brioche and we ravaged the appetizers in no time before realizing I forgot to take a picture.
Another freebie for the night: a spoonful of Thai salad for each!  
So I'm a very conservative person when it comes to food, I don't venture far from the 3 main meats(chicken, beef and pork) but that night I was feeling adventurous! So I went with the venison. I had no idea what to expect and the thought of eating deer meat seemed odd to me. But nonetheless I am always open to try new things! How do you even describe this type of meat.... It does not taste anything like beef, a little like mutton...  It was okay, I'm not sure if I have a liking for it haha But it was extremely tender and flaky. I did a quick search on the taste of deer, and people describe it as being "gamey". Not sure what that means...But it seems quite fitting. The dish came with deep fried polenta (cornmeal), the texture was crispy on the outside with a soft warm middle. One of the polenta was way too fried as you can tell by the picture. Notice the colour contrast? I kept that on the side of my plate.
At the end of the night, they also brought out a complimentary plate of petite four! Such a delight surprise, especially after a filling meal. It really was a nice addition and completed the entire dining experience. The white and dark chocolate truffles were my favorites!
Service is excellent, the waitress was attentive to our needs and gave us enough time to carry out our conversations. In addition, she answered all our questions and gave honest recommendations about several dishes. Food was delectable but nothing amazing in terms of flavour or presentation. The little "extras" were a pleasant addition to our full course meal. Overall, the experience was great and my parents thoroughly enjoyed the fine dining experience! I highly recommend dining here at the wildflower - service, ambiance and food is excellent!

Wildflower Grill at the Matrix Hotel on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment